As many of our readers know, there have been iOS 8-8.02 Bluetooth issues with in-car infotainment systems from almost every car maker including BMW, Audi, GM(Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, Buick), Mercedes-Benz, VW, Mazda, Lexus, Fiat, Hyundai and more. An AUTO Connected Car News commenter summed it up this way, “Apple blames the car makers and the car makers blame Apple.” Hopefully, the update to iOS 8.1 will help users connect their iPhones with their automobiles.
There have been new cyber security initiatives for the automotive industry with an alphabet soup of acronyms, standards, algorithms and protocols. ASDL comes from SBD and NCC Group while IPS based on DPI comes from the Argus Cyber Consulting. ECUSHIELD (pronounced E.C.U. shield) from TowerSec offers intrusion protection (IPS) and firewalls.
Intel in the first promotional video shows how it developing security for “Intelligent Cars” that are step above connected cars.
Doing things while you are driving is distracting. The more brain power the function requires the more distracting it is. The AAA Foundation for Traffic
People traveling on foot in traffic live dangerously, especially in Europe, where the European Commission reported about one-fifth of all traffic fatalities in Europe involve pedestrians.
The SEMA concepts feature accessories designed for personalization while maintaining excellent refinement and ride characteristics. General Motors’ engineers developed most of the accessories shown on the concept vehicles.
Safety Major Value
- Safety is a major value among car buyers, it is the highest-ranking features for future buyers, 79% said they believe a vehicle’s safety features will make them feel safe.
- Users of connected car technologies like the value of crash notifications (64% very important).
- Internet-enabled navigation was found to 58% very important.
- Safety alerts were ranked at 51% very important.
- Connected car consumers also rated these same features as most important in their car-buying decision-making processes.
The Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC), announced that the new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge are MirrorLink-enabled. They also announced apps that work with MirrorLink.
MirrorLink-enabled apps that were on display at the Paris auto show include:
Features of the aftermarket audio systems with expanded smartphone functionality include Pandora, styling and FLAC file playback. The new receivers have larger screens, better colors and brightness functions.