Pioneer announced its new 2016 line of in-dash multimedia DVD receivers with nine new models. Two Bluetooth devices can be connected at the same time and music can be browsed over a Bluetooth connection. New for the 2016 DVD models, Pandora enables listeners to store their personalized stations on six presets on the receiver. Pioneer is the first car aftermarket manufacturer to offer this feature.
The receivers offer a range of entertainment and connectivity options. They have new clear resistive touchscreen, Siri Eyes Free, Spotify as a dedicated A/V source, Pandora with station presets and station creation, and FLAC file playback.
The new models are AVH-180DVD, AVH-280BT, AVH-X1800S, AVH-X2800BS, AVH-X3800BHS, AVH-X4800BS, and AVH-X5800BHS double-DIN receivers, and AVH-X6800DVD and AVH-X7800BT single-DIN receivers.
Here are the features of the devices:
- BLUETOOTH WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY – The AVH-X2800BS, AVH-X3800BHS, AVH-X4800BS, AVH-X5800BHS and AVH-X7800BT feature built-in Bluetooth wireless capability for convenient hands-free calling as well as music streaming with compatible Bluetooth enabled devices. The Bluetooth models also feature Bluetooth Dual Device Connection for full-time connection of two smartphone devices at the same time. The feature enables a call to be picked up by either of the paired phones, eliminating the need to pair and unpair devices.
- HFP 1.6 Wideband Speech – Hands Free Profile (HFP) 1.6 significantly increases the frequency bandwidth dedicated to voice calling (now 50Hz – 7kHz) and doubles the sampling frequency (now 16kHz) to produce significantly better sound quality for wireless conversations. Both the caller and call recipient experience clearer and more distinct sound.
- Music Library Browsing over Bluetooth (AVRCP 1.5) – Users can now search album content over a wireless connection. iPhone devices can use Bluetooth to search through playlists, artists, songs, and genres. For Android smartphones enabled with Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), users can browse through media folders via folder type. The smartphone device must be compatible with AVRCP 1.4 profile or newer to access Bluetooth Audio Browsing.
- SIRI EYES FREE – Pioneer DVD models with Bluetooth enable users of iPhone 4s and above to access Siri Eyes Free with the simple press of a key. Siri Eyes Free allows users to make calls, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, get mapping information, listen to notifications, listen to calendar information and add reminders by voice.
EXPANDED ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS
- SPOTIFY (All models except AVH-180DVD and AVH-280BT) – New for 2016 is the ability to control content from the Spotify app on iPhone and Android devices as a dedicated source on the receivers. Listeners can now play, pause and skip tracks using the Pioneer controls, and with a few taps, it is just as easy to browse playlists, albums and radio stations on the go. Premium users enjoy ad-free, high quality music that always keeps playing, even when there is no connection. Spotify on the new receivers works over Bluetooth for Android devices and Bluetooth or USB cable for the iPhone.
- USB CONNECTIVITY – When connected to an iPhone, iPod, portable USB drive or compatible Android device via the USB port, users can use basic controls (Play/Pause/FF/Rev/Random/Repeat) and display track, artist and album information. Android devices must run OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or newer with Android Media Transfer Protocol.
- PANDORA STATION CREATION and STATION PRESETS (AVH-1800S, AVH-X2800BS, AVH-X3800BHS, AVH-X4800BS, AVH-X5800BHS) – With station creation on Pandora, listeners can explore and discover new music using an iPhone (physical USB connection required) or Android smartphone. While listening to Pandora on the receiver, listeners can create a station based on the currently playing artist or track by simply touching a dedicated button on the screen.
- SIRIUSXM RADIO CONNECTIVITY (AVH-1800S, AVH-X2800BS, AVH-X3800BHS, AVH-X4800BS AVH-X5800BHS) – Five double DIN models are SiriusXM compatible with the SXV300 SiriusXM Vehicle Connect Tuner (sold separately, SiriusXM subscription required).
- HD RADIO TECHNOLOGY – For high quality audio broadcasts, the AVH-X5800BHS and AVH-X3800BHS feature a built-in HD Radio tuner, providing clear digital reception of HD Radio and additional multi-casting programming on HD1, HD2 and HD3 broadcasts from participating radio stations across the country.
First introduced on Pioneer’s popular line of Networked Entertainment eXperience in-dash receivers, the entire line of 2016 DVD receivers features a new clear resistive touchscreen that provides brighter, more vibrant colors and increased touch sensitivity, making it more responsive than traditional resistive touch panels. All models (expect for the AVH-180DVD and AVH-280BT) also offer FLAC file playback capability at up to 48kHz/24bit high resolution CD-quality audio playback.
- All models except AVH-180DVD and AVH-280BT
- Compatibility with Pioneer’s AVIC-U260 outboard navigation system (sold separately)
- 13 band Graphic Equalizer with touch panel swipe setting and built-in high/low pass crossover with adjustable points and slopes
- Built in Auto EQ and Time Alignment provides customized audio adjustments for the driver
Advanced Sound Retriever®
- The AVH-X3800BHS and AVH-X5800BHS offer two camera inputs for increased safety and convenience. The first input is dedicated for a backup camera (sold separately) and the second input can be used for additional assistance for driving, towing, or parking.
- AVH-X6800DVD and AVH-X7800BT and single-DIN models feature motorized 7-inch touchscreen displays and detachable face security.
Pioneer’s multimedia DVD receivers will be available in November with suggested retail prices of: $230 (AVH-180DVD), $280 (AVH-280BT), $280 (AVH-X1800S), $330 (AVH-X2800BS), $380 (AVH-X3800BHS), $430 (AVH-X4800BS), $480 (AVH-X5800BHS), $450 (AVH-X6800DVD) and $500 (AVH-X7800BT). They can usually be found at cheaper prices on Amazon.com, a few months after release.