AT CES, FCA will give hands-on demonstrations of the all-new, fourth-generation Uconnect system featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the all-new, class-exclusive Uconnect Theater rear seat entertainment system in the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan and a variety of exclusive features in the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid’s innovative powertrain system.
Fourth-generation Uconnect System
Building upon the success of previous generations, the new system includes performance improvements with faster startup time and enhanced processing power, a new 8.4-inch touch screen that offers multi-touch gestures, vivid imagery, sharper graphics and the ability to support smartphone integrations.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is the smarter, simpler way to use your iPhone in the car. CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them right on your car’s built-in display. Drivers are able to place calls, listen to music, send and receive messages, obtain directions optimized for traffic conditions and access third-party audio apps on your iPhone, all while staying focused on the road. CarPlay features Siri Voice control in addition to being accessible from the car’s touch screen.
Android Auto: Targeted for Android phones, Android Auto shares information while driving and makes it easy to access the best of Google. The system features Google Maps with free voice-guided navigation, live traffic information and lane guidance; on-demand access to 30 million songs with Google Play Music; the ability to place phone calls or send and receive messages while keeping your hands on the wheel; and ask Google Search any question. Android Auto also makes it easy to access popular apps and content from the Uconnect system’s touch screen.
Uconnect is turning up the fun factor for passengers, with the class-exclusive Uconnect Theater rear seat entertainment system. With Uconnect Theater, passengers can watch movies, play built-in games and connect personal devices to surf the internet. To quickly navigate through options, passengers can swipe through the touch screens or use the included Bluetooth touchpad remote control
The one-of-a-kind Uconnect Theater includes:
- Screens: Two high-definition 10-inch touch screens located on the back headrests of the driver and front passenger seats. Individual content can be displayed on each screen
- Built-in apps and games: To help keep passengers entertained, Uconnect Theater offers several embedded apps and games via the 10-inch touch screens, including math flash cards, checkers, bingo and tic tac toe. With the “Are We There Yet?” app, passengers can view the distance remaining to their destination and estimated arrival time
- Parental controls: The driver can mute, turn off and lock out content displayed on each screen
- Supported devices: Passengers can select from a variety of devices to connect to Uconnect Theater, including smartphones, tablets, MP3 players, Apple TV, Blu-ray/DVD, CD, gaming devices, e-readers, USB drives, laptops and digital cameras
- USB ports: A USB port located in the first row center stack can be used to play movies on the Uconnect Theater 10-inch screens. Additional ports in the second and third row also provide charging
- HDMI ports: HDMI ports are available in the second row to transfer, charge, control and shuffle between a connected device and the vehicle screens
- Remote controls: Two Bluetooth touchpad remote controls are included with the Uconnect Theater
- Headphones: Uconnect Theater comes equipped with two sets of digital wireless headphones
As part of the demonstrations available for the Uconnect Theater rear seat entertainment system at CES, wireless streaming will be shown as a technology concept. This feature allows passengers to stream video content wirelessly to either or both of the Uconnect Theater displays through a compatible Android mobile device paired to the system.
Chrysler Pacific Hybrid Exclusive Tech Support
The technological capability of the all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, the industry’s first electrified minivan, goes well beyond its innovative powertrain. Features like the all-new Hybrid Electric Pages, Uconnect Access mobile app and hybrid-exclusive cluster display make it easy for customers to make the most of their Pacifica Hybrid.
Hybrid Electric Pages
The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid comes standard with the Uconnect 8.4 system, which includes an 8.4-inch touch screen, available navigation and integrated voice command. In addition, the Pacifica Hybrid includes the all-new Hybrid Electric Pages, providing owners with helpful vehicle information to get the most MPGe out of their vehicle. The Hybrid Electric Pages include:
- Power Flow: Provides a dynamic illustration showing how/where power is flowing within the Pacifica Hybrid, from battery to the engine, the wheels or the HVAC system, or from regenerative braking back to the battery
- Driving History: Displays a chart showing distance driven in electric mode and hybrid mode, graphed by day
- Charge Scheduling: Allows owner to schedule the Pacifica Hybrid’s charging times (making the most of off-peak electrical rates) and provides an option to override set times to charge immediately
Uconnect Access app
The Uconnect Access mobile app for the Pacifica Hybrid delivers remote access to the vehicle’s sophisticated technology, enabling customers to get the most from their ownership experience and making life simpler along the way. Owners can use the app to check the state of charge of their vehicle’s battery, along with vehicle range and estimated time to full recharge. They can also set the charging schedule for the Pacifica Hybrid, receive charge status updates and locate charging stations.
Hybrid-specific cluster display
The Pacifica Hybrid’s unique 7-inch color thin-film transistor (TFT) instrument cluster delivers important information at a glance for the driver. The cluster’s display changes color to indicate whether the Pacifica is operating in electric mode (teal) or hybrid mode (blue), while both the battery level and fuel level are always displayed. The Pacifica Hybrid’s total range (combining both battery and fuel) is also displayed. An “efficiency coach” display guides owners to drive more efficiently and to maximize the time spent in battery mode.
Launched in 2003, Uconnect systems are FCA’s in-vehicle connectivity centers, designed to keep consumers connected, entertained and, most importantly, focused on the road.
Each FCA vehicle comes equipped with a Uconnect system that provides drivers with a range of available communication, navigation, entertainment features and connected services, including:
- Handsfree calling or texting solutions that keep drivers productive, talking and connected
- Entertainment and audio options that include AM, FM, HD Radio or satellite radio, Bluetooth streaming audio, CD Player, USB and AUX port
- Navigation options that help provide a stress-free commute with easy access to points of interest, well-designed maps and turn-by-turn directions that are broadcast over the vehicle’s audio system
An included trial of connected services also is available on properly equipped vehicles. These real-time services include a monthly vehicle health report, vehicle health alert, a smartphone app that enables owners to remotely lock, unlock or start their vehicle, locate their vehicle and more; 9-1-1 call and Assist Buttons on the rearview mirror that will connect vehicle owners to help at the push of a button.
Vehicle owners can access and control their Uconnect system’s features and services by using voice recognition technology, steering wheel controls, touch screens or traditional knobs and buttons.