The Los Angeles Auto Show’s AutoMobility LA today announced that registration is now open for its 2018 hackathon entitled Code AutoMobility LA, taking place from November 25 to 26 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. This year’s theme is centered on tools that can improve the overall driving experience in a connected world. The total value of all prizes to be awarded is $85,000 in Visa prepaid gift cards.
During a 30-hour period, participants will be tasked with developing innovative technology solutions that help drivers and their passengers get to destinations safer and smarter, as well as make seamless in-car payments. They will be given access to key insights and application-programming interfaces (APIs) from Visa and GM to help with their creations, which could range from simplifying the payment process for parking or finding new ways to manage traffic flow.
On Monday, November 26, participants will pitch their solutions to a panel of industry experts including:
- Jaclyn Trop, automotive reporter, Fortune
- Charles Thomas, chief data and analytics officer, General Motors
- Jay Kim, assistant general manager, Los Angeles Department of Transportation
- Marco Pavone, assistant professor and director, Autonomous Systems Laboratory, Stanford University
- Mark Jamison, senior vice president, Global Innovation and Design, Visa
The final winners will be announced on Tuesday, November 27 during the AutoMobility LA Conference. The first place winner or winning team will receive a $40,000 Visa prepaid gift card. Second and third place winners will receive $30,000 and $15,000 Visa prepaid gift cards, respectively.