The Owl Car Cam, LTE-Connected security camera for your car connecting cars was launched. Designed by a team of seasoned entrepreneurs hailing from Apple, Microsoft & Dropcam, the Owl Car Cam brings 24/7, easy-to-use security to the car to capture crashes, break-ins, dents, and traffic stops. Owl was founded on the idea that video, sensors, and intelligent software can help people deal with real life events that matter.
As an added incentive, OWL awards $1000 prize every day for video shot with the Owl Car Cam.
When driving, dual-facing cameras protect Owl users, capturing what happens on the road, both inside and outside of the car. When parked, Owl secures the vehicle with sensors that automatically alert the driver via the Owl Cam app. The app lets you see and use HD video evidence of everything from break-ins to mystery parking lot dings. You alone control the video with the Owl app on your phone. The app is built to make sharing video easy in seconds.
The Owl Cam consists of an OBD device and the cameras feature:
- 4MP sensor with 2µm pixel size
- Fixed focus
- 6 Element Lens (1 Glass, 5 Plastic)
- 120 Degree D-FOV
- ƒ/2.14 aperture
- Hybrid blue glass IR filter
- 24 hours of storage.
- 4G LTE wireless connectivity
- Wireless LAN 2.4GHz/5GHz
- BLE 4.2
- OWL LTE SERVICE – includes anywhere access to live video, instant video reports 60 clips or 60 minutes of Live/24 each month via LTE.
Every year, one in two American families are impacted by crashes, dents, dings, traffic stops or auto break-ins, at a cost of more than $82 billion in loss and damages. The Owl Car Cam is always connected to power and utilizes a LTE connection to access up to 24 hours of high definition video and alerts. The camera automatically detects the important safety events that occur in and around the car and provides instant video clip reports. This system protects and helps people in 5 situations:
- Crashes: Crashes and close calls are captured and ready for you to review 24-hours a day on your phone to save and share so you avoid unfair blame.
- Dings/dents: On-board sensors automatically detect events while you’re away from your car, and send alerts to your phone. The Owl Cam App will display what happened, and let you see what’s happening right now in your car via a live feed. This all lets you save and share the video of “that other car.”
- Traffic stops: Owl is running when you are pulled over to keep everyone on their best behavior and to make sure you have what you need to tell your side of the story.
- Break-ins: If someone other than you gets in your car, Owl knows and alerts you. Owl pairs with your iPhone, and senses when you and your phone approach your car. If it’s someone else and they break in or get into your car, Owl’s LED floodlights will turn on to scare them off. Owl also sends you an alert via the Owl Cam App with video day or night, so you can watch a live feed of what’s going on in your car and even use the intercom to say, “Get out of my car dude.”
- And Everything Else Too: Owl also helps you capture and share the wonderful and unexpected moments that happen when you drive. Owl has voice-controlled video tagging. Tagging lets you name video clips that are sent straight to your phone. You just say the trigger word “OK Presto” and describe what you saw. The named video clip is sent to your phone ready for you to share it to your favorite social networks right from the Owl Cam App. Owl was originally built for the serious, but don’t be surprised if car karaoke, funny and unexpected family moments, or amazing views happen.
The Owl Car Cam is small and easy to install in any car built in 1996 and after; it draws power from the on board diagnostics (OBD) port. The camera is controlled with an app, available initially for iPhone iOS11. The Owl Car Cam is built for use in the USA.
The Owl Car Cam has dual HD cameras, an LTE cellular radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, a touch screen, a powerful processor, speakers, microphones and security beacon and lights. The Owl Car Cam will be sold individually for $299 in 2018.
The Owl LTE Service provides instant security alerts, voice controlled video clip creation, live remote video of what’s happening in your car now and the ability to see everything that happened in the 24 hours from anywhere. The Owl LTE service, including up to 60 minutes of Live View use or up to 60 video tags costs $10/month.
Today, at launch on 2/1/2018, the Owl Car Cam plus one year of LTE service is available for purchase for $349 – a savings of $70.
Owl gets alerts and video to your phone using the AT&T 4G network.
Alongside the nationwide launch, Owl also announced a Series A funding round of $18 Million. Owl’s investors include defy.vc, Khosla Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Sherpa Capital, Moment Ventures, Maniv Mobility, and CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA insurer.