The new Explorer Platinum is the first Ford vehicle to get all-new 500-watt Sony Audio with Live Acoustics and Clear Phase technology. Live Acoustics re-creates the sound dynamics of some of the world’s greatest concert halls for more enveloping, more realistic sound. Clear Phase technology eliminates sound dispersion throughout the vehicle, so the music passengers hear is precisely pinpointed – just as the artist intended.
Explorer Platinum also gets standard smart technology features including enhanced active park assist, lane-keeping system and rain-sensing wipers. Along with popular parallel park assist, enhanced active park assist can now help drivers back the vehicle into a perpendicular spot.
For the 2016 model year, Explorer customers enjoy driver-assist innovations that have long made the vehicle an off-road favorite. The 2016 Explorer offers more drive-enhancing smart technology than previous models, including:
- Front and rear cameras with washers: Both have wide-angle lenses and come equipped with a washer – a class-exclusive, segment-first feature
- Enhanced active park assist with perpendicular park assist, park-out assist and semi-automatic parallel parking: The system uses ultrasonic sensors and electric power-assisted steering to help drivers with parallel parking and perpendicular parking maneuvers. Enhanced active park assist includes park-out assist to help a driver pull out of parallel parking spots. The system controls the steering wheel, while the driver operates the accelerator and brake pedals, and shifts the vehicle into gear
- Smart-charging USB ports: Located in the front and rear of the vehicle are USB ports able to charge smart devices up to two times faster than conventional ports
- Hands-free liftgate: A customer need only kick his or her foot below the center of the rear bumper to open or close the liftgate
- Industry-exclusive 500-watt Sony Audio System
- Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag. At low speeds, the shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain.
- Air curtains: Standard air curtains create a high-pressure region of air that impacts the outer surface of the wheels and tires. The result is airflow held close to the vehicle body, minimizing drag
Explorer Platinum comes standard with the intelligent four-wheel-drive with Terrain Management System that reassesses conditions about 20 times faster than the blink of an eye – providing precise handling and traction.
Intelligent four-wheel drive continuously monitors wheel speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle to determine vehicle conditions and driver intent. The system then determines the optimal amount of front and rear torque for the given conditions to prevent slip from even occurring, which helps keep the vehicle sure-footed on virtually any terrain. In sand, grass or gravel mode, the antilock braking system changes its pulse rate, which allows material to build up in front of the wheels – acting as a doorstop of sorts to help slow momentum.
For added convenience, the Terrain Management System automatically defaults to normal mode whenever the vehicle is started to ensure it’s ready for normal driving conditions.
Using a dial located on the center console, the customer can shift on the fly, selecting from four terrain management modes – normal, snow, sand or mud – to set how the engine, transmission, brakes and four-wheel-drive system will operate. A fifth setting helps navigate steep terrain.