The Tesla 3 was introduced with a performance and show by Elona Musk in Hawthorne, California on Thursday evening, after a day of line waiting at Tesla stores where $1000 deposited were gladly accepted. As of Saturday, there were over 276,000 deposits made which could equate to an $11 Billion launch. First reports of the car’s ride relate it to a luxury car car feel, deposits may make the fastest selling small luxury car on the market.
Musk took the stage evangalizing the Tesla 3 and lfve style of the emitting zero emission. He noted the the high increase in CO2 in the atmosphere and global warming. He also talked about how the sales of earlier more expensive Tesla models help fuel the new lower cost model. He said that the Model 3 was only possible going through the development of other models.
“For all of you who bought the Model S or X thank you for paying for the Model 3,” said Musk.
Musk touted that the Model 3 will be a safe car, five star in every categorey. The base model goes from 0-60mpm in less than six seconds, ex
“At Tesla we don’t make slow cars!” Musk exclaimed.
Analysts are not comparing the Model 3 to electric cars like the Nissan LEAF or Chevy Bolt but luxury cars such as the BMW3, Audi A4, Cadillac ATS, Mercdes-Benz C Class, Acurra TLX and Infiniti Q50. Tesla S with a mininmun price of $70,000 now dominates the large luxury car class.
Here are the featues that have new car buyer drooling and forking up deposits.
- Range at least an EPA rating of 215 miles with an option upgrade to a bigger battery.
- All model 3 will come standard with Autopilot hardware and owners will not need to buy an additional package.
- Telsa 3 will fits 5 adults confortably.
- To maked more space the the instrument panel is compressed, and the front seats are moved forward.
- On the rear roof is one continuous pane of glass for feeling of openess.
- There are front and rear trunks, more storage than any gas car of same dimenisons will fit a 7′ surfboard inside.
- Super charging is standard giving owner the freedom of travel. There are 3600 superchargers worldwide the number will double by the end of next year, while the number destination chargers wil quadruple.
- The charger will convert to any country’s charging and electricty.
- There are 215 store/service locations will double to 441 locations for sales and service.
- There is a portait 15″ screen. The entire instrument panel is gone behind the steering wheel.
- There will be a high volume of production.
- Rear-wheel drive is standard, with an option for dual-motor all-wheel drive.
- The gigafactory will build the batteries with the largest building of any kind. Will produce more Lithium batteries than any area of the world combined. It will produce the most advanced technology batteries in the world.
“I am confidnet that deliveries, by next year,” Musk said, while the audience laughed.
“You will not be able to buy better car for $35,000 anywhere else,” Musk prophitzed. “Thank you to every one who ordered the car. We love you.” Musk ended.
At our local Tesla Store, we were told that the deposit is “Totally refundable” and they take credit cards. The deposit holds the buyers place in line.
Muske Tweeted that there will token of appreciation for those who lined up coming in the mail. They thought maybe 20-30 people per store would line up, not 800. The gifts are on order.
We find it interesting with the Model 3, no one asked if it would have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.