With the holiday travel season in full swing, and more than 103 million Americans expected to hit the road, Volvo Trucks North America wants everyone to reach their destination safely. From passenger vehicle drivers actively taking precautions to active safety technologies helping even the largest of vehicles stay under control, roadways can be safer if everyone keeps in mind some simple tips.
Some safety tips that drivers should keep in mind any time they are on the road include:
- Be aware of the vehicle in front of you and give them plenty of space.
- Slow down and don’t exceed the speed of surrounding traffic.
- Do not cut in front of large trucks! Big trucks take much longer to stop than smaller automobiles, so give them enough space that allows them to brake to a complete stop. Fully-loaded tractor trailers can take more than 100 yards to make a complete stop.
- In cold weather, be sure to remove all ice and snow from your vehicle for maximum visibility and to eliminate extra blind spots.
- Buckle your safety belt; this important safety device won’t prevent a crash but it can save a life.
- Keep your eyes on the road and avoid distracted driving. Put your cell phone away while operating your vehicle.
- Prepare yourself and your vehicle for long-distance travel. Before you hit the road, ensure vehicle maintenance is up-to-date and that you are well-rested, fed and hydrated. Also make sure you have a few safety supplies in the car: water, snack, blanket, and flashlight may come in handy if you experience a breakdown along the way.
- Avoid impaired drivers. Report any intoxicated drivers by calling 911 and pull over to the side of the road to avoid a dangerous driving situation.
- Take note of the blind spots of large trucks: if you can’t see the driver, the driver can’t see you. For your safety, pass trucks only on their left side; this gives the driver the greatest chance to see you.
- Be flexible. If weather conditions are dangerous or the forecast doesn’t look good, try shifting your plans to drive another day if possible.
Trucks deliver the vast majority of consumer goods, helping ensure gifts, food and other items arrive on time. Volvo Trucks North America realizes how important it is to stay safe on the road and includes some of the best safety features in its new VNR and VNL series tractors.
Some of the top safety features Volvo offers for professional truck drivers include:
- Volvo Active Driver Assist – this is an integrated camera- and radar-based system that combines forward collision mitigation warnings and active braking, even with stationary vehicles.
- Volvo Enhanced Stability Technology (VEST) – this system provides core antilock braking, Bendix® Smart ATC, and an enhanced stability system (covering under-steer, over-steer, and rollover situations) to help drivers avoid accidents.
- LED Lighting – both interior and exterior LED lighting provides clearer sight lines, improves overall visibility, and helps reduce driver fatigue.
- Passive Protection technologies include driver-side airbags; raised foot pedals; impact-absorbing steering wheel/column, dashboard and panels; three-point safety harness; flared frame rails; high-strength-steel cab; and a one-piece, roped in windshield that provides a fast emergency exit if needed.