Nine months after launching the d OverDryve 7 connected-car device, Rand McNally revealed that it has produced a new OverDryve 7C unit that is more affordable but maintains most of the key features of the original device.
OverDryve 7C provides a combination of hands-free information, entertainment, navigation, and safety features on a simple magnetic mount – making it the least expensive way to bring OverDryve’s advanced luxury vehicle technology to any car. The new dashboard tablet is available at Walmart now with a suggested retail price of $199.
Fletcher debuted the OverDryve system last year at a packed press event at the Chicago Auto Show. The original OverDryve 7 device was sold exclusively at Best Buy through 2016 year end. Earlier this month the company unveiled a commercial version of the OverDryve™ product, the OverDryve™ 8 Pro for professional truck drivers.
“OverDryve 7C delivers all the goodness of the original device in a streamlined package and simple mount,” said Fletcher. “Just like the original, this new device has the power to modernize any vehicle by bringing the luxury car features we all want to any make, model, or vintage car.”
With more than 260 million cars and trucks on U.S. roads, the market for such a device is vast. In 2016, the average age of the American car increased to 11.6 years, according to IHS Markit.*
That means a majority of the cars on the road don’t have advanced connected luxury and safety features that newer vehicles offer.
Key features include:
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and texting
- Siri and Google Now voice assistance
- A built-in dash cam
- The ability to stream music, news, weather, traffic, sports, and more – all through the car speakers
- Award-winning navigation from Rand McNally with lane guidance, warnings and other safety features
- A sleek, magnetic mount that makes attaching and removing the device a snap
- Plus, available tire pressure monitor and backup camera
Everything about the OverDryve products was designed with the driver in mind. The OverDryve 7C features an elegant user display that provides access to key items at a glance. Off the mount – for passengers in the car or after the drive – OverDryve 7C is a fully loaded entertainment tablet that can be used to watch movies, access social media, and check email.
In addition, a host of add-on accessories, sold separately, are available to sync with the device:
- The Rand McNally Wi-Fi Backup Camera works with the OverDrvye 7C to give a full-screen picture of what’s behind a vehicle. There’s no need for an extra dashboard screen; the camera app is pre-loaded on the OverDryve 7C.
- The Rand McNally Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) enables drivers to monitor pressure and temperature on individual tires through the OverDryve 7C, helping with tire safety and efficiency.
Celebrating its 161st anniversary this year, Rand McNally has been quietly shifting gears into a technology company in recent years. A major player in the commercial transportation markets – for 81 years – the company has leveraged its fast-growing telematics and fleet management expertise along with its award-winning commercial navigation to create a highly advanced, connected-car platform that is affordable and can be used in any car or light truck.