Apple announced iOS 10 at WWDC with some new Bluetooth features. So far we can’t tell if iOS 10 will help the multitude of iPhone owners who have had problems connecting their iPhones to cars since iOS 8.0 -9.3.2. Bluetooth will be very important to the next generation iPhone 7 because in order to make the phone thinner the headphone jack port will be removed.
Apple announced that iOS 10 adds Bluetooth iBecaon printing, called AirPrint Bluetooth Beacon. The wireless printing is through a Bluetooth iBeacon or through a printer with AirPrint Bluetooth Beacon embedded. There may be a problem created for Bluetooth users if AirPrint Bluetooth Beacon is turned on when you enter your car. We have seen problems with the HandOff feature being enabled affecting Bluetooth connections. We are concerned that too many Bluetooth functions on iPhones will block the needed car functionality.
Let’s see where we are with iOS 9.3.2. The update was supposed to fix “an issue where some Bluetooth accessories could experience audio quality issues when paired to the iPhone SE.”
Here are the latest complaints and thanks from people who were finally able to connect Bluetooth to their cars:
- Choppy Bluetooth connection with Toyota with 9.3.2, iPhone with 9.3.1 still works with car.
- Choppy Bluetooth audio with 2016 GMC Terrain.
- Bluetooth issues with 2016 Chevy Tahoe.
- VW Golf 2011- sometimes the iPhone will say connected, then not connected, then connect again.
- Ford Fusion Bluetooth drops at lease every 30 minutes randomly.
- After update to iOS 9.3.2 can’t connect any Bluetooth device including car.
- 2013 Honda Civic and every type of Apple device. None of them will maintain a connection. It has been happening since car purchase with a 5,6,6S,iPad
- 2012 Honda CR-V with Phone 6 will no longer play music through the car but phone calls can go through it.
- Hyundai Sonata 2013 & 2015 with Bluetooth connection audio for phone calls stutters. Every other word is heard. This is also on ringing so it isn’t just the remote connection. Same problems with Sonata 2013 Hybrid Jeep and BMW and Ford Fiesta 2012 titanium mode.
- 2014 Subaru Forester iPhone pairs with car but doesn’t stay paired.
- There are also reports of choppy audio with Bluetooth headsets.
- 2013 Toyota Highlander and Bluetooth is now cutting in and out since I update to iOS 9.3 it was working fine before update.
- Bluetooth issues with 2013 Honda CRV.
- Upgraded to 9.3.2 on iPhone 6 Plus and owner can no longer can do anything with the Uconnect service in 2014 Jeep Patriot.
- 2013 Toyota Camry. Phone connects but can’t hear anything. The audio keeps cutting in and out. Sounds totally garbled and unintelligible. iPhone 6s and newest update 9.3.2
- Audio won’t play in Kia 2011.
- A user commented that a Ford dealer stated the inability to use an iPad with Ford F 150 with Sync is due to IOS 9.3 update. iPhone won’t connect with Ford Sync either.
- Sometimes Bluetooth works sometimes it doesn’t on a2016 Chevy Tahoe with an iPhone 6S Plus. When kids play with the iPhone and every time they would play a different game on the iPhone the radio goes off and the music on iPhone went on.
- iPhone 6 no longer plays through Ford Sync on Ford S-Max 2.00 Titanium 2016 model car.
- 2016 GMC Terrain – issues with iTunes/Pandora/Maps causing choppy audio
- After updating iPhone 6S to iOS 9.3.2 the Bluetooth on with Chevy 2016 Equinox works kind of choppy.
- 2016 Chevy Equinox and iPhone SE. The owner can rarely get the phone to connect to the Car Bluetooth since iOS 9.3.2
- Bluetooth issues with2016 Buick Encore, 2014 Mazda CX-9.
- iPhone can still be paired with 2012 Kia Sorento, however the phone book does not download. It displays that it is being downloaded, but whenever the driver tries to call by name, it comes back that it does not recognize command. Other household iPhone 6S that is still on IOS 9.3.1 can be paired with same car and works fine.
- 2013 Dodge Dart after update, the iPhone connects and will randomly play music a but there is absolutely no sound with calls. The driver can hear it ring and answer it on screen but nothing more.
- 2015 Ford Explorer doesn’t recognize iPhone any more.
- 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2, paired once, but will no longer pairs.
- 2013 Nissan Altima with iOS 9.3.2. there is no connection but worked with Android phone.
- 2012 VW Jetta with iPhone 6S Plus with 9.2.3 It can pair connect with car via BLuetooth. The driver can listen to music but can not use the Bluetooth speaker phone. It will make calls but all audio skips every second.
- 2013 Toyota Highlander, the Bluetooth is now cutting in and out since the update to iOS 9.3 with iPhone 6S. It was working fine before update.
We continue to get reports that versions of the “nuke-it” fix continue to help those plagued with Bluetooth problems, such as this variation:
- On the iPhone: Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings. (This will reset your WiFi info as well, so be prepared. This will also change your phone’s name to “iPhone”.
- In the Car: Delete the old iPhone’s connection info.
- On the iPhone, change your phone’s name from “iPhone” to whatever you want it to be.
- Re-pair the car and the phone.
One of our readers noted “I have a 2010 Lexus HS 250 H. My iPhone SE with iOS 9.3.2 connected after I deleted all Bluetooth devices and reset network settings”
Another thanked us
“Thanks so much for this! 2012 Mini Countryman, intermittent phone audio since iOS 9 update. All re-pairing & ‘forgetting’ had failed until finding this thread. Setting Bluetooth to headset and deleting my Withings Watch from BT menu on iPhone, then reinstalling, seems to have worked! Thanks so much, local dealer & Apple had no idea. So grateful!
“I just had my radio replaced under warranty in my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT because of the 15 minute cutoff on phone calls. When I left the dealership, I paired my iPhone 5S ( with the latest 9 update). Later that night, I tried to make a call on my way home and the radio system started having trouble . If I tried to make a call, the radio system froze and then completely turned off. I was so upset that I would have gladly put up with the 15 minute cutoff problem on the old radio rather than this new set of problems. Since it was late at night and I could not call the dealer, I started asking questions on the web and found this site. Thank you. I changed the accessibility from automatic to Bluetooth headset under General settings. Someone said that did not solve their problems so I also disabled Handoff found under General settings. This seems to have solved my problems between the car and the phone.
Thank you for all the posts. I was really really upset. I guess the dealerships and Apple can’t keep up with all the technology communication problems between devices.”
iOS updates can change the iPhone handshake to Bluetooth. Updating iOS can alter the Bluetooth signature of the Bluetooth device that was used before. Let’s go over all the possible fixes just in case we missed something.
Beside the “Nuke-it” fixes, if you are having Bluetooth problems with iPhones is to disable the frequent locations feature in iOS that keeps checking for traffic to remind you when to leave for appointments.
Sometimes turning off Siri helps with GM model Bluetooth connections.RESTORE your iPhone using a full 9.3 install rather than an over the air update through iTunes.
Keep hands off the Handoff feature, just by turning off the HandOff feature some users have been able to connect iPhones to their cars, again. The other new fix is to use the car as “Bluetooth Headset”
If you have updated to iOS 9.0-9.3.2 for iPhone SE 5/5S/5c 6-6+ 6S/6S+ and it fixed or fried your Bluetooth issues or music streaming with your in-car infotainment system, please let us know in the comments below, be sure to note your make, model and year of your vehicle. We also welcome any solutions you have found worked with your car.
We have comments from readers that there are still Bluetooth problems reported with BMW, Audi, Acura, MINI, GM(Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, Buick), Honda, Kia, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Mazda, Lexus, Fiat, Hyundai, Chrysler, Acura, Mazda and more. The year and model of your car are very important.
Previously, after talking to many automakers we asked Why Bluetooth iOS 8-8.1 & iPhone 6-6+ issues persist in cars? It seemed like the 8.1 update helped with a few new model cars. Here is a summary of Bluetooth issues and fixes and checkout the most popular nuke-it fixes.
You are welcome to sign up for our newsletter for daily news, weekly news or just Bluetooth iOS 8+ – 9 news to keep informed. Note: if you subscribe to email when published, you will get everything and don’t have to subscribe to other lists. Also we can not send email newsletters to outlook.com, hotmail.com or live.com email addresses. After one person noted a newsletter as spam we have no way o fix it with Microsoft.