The devices are installed by the owner of carS made after 1996 and offers vehicle diagnostics, roadside assistance and live consultations with mechanics.
The devices are operated by Verizon Telematics a telematics service provider to major automakers including Mercedes-Benz.
Included in the subscription is a smartphone app allowing subscribers to monitor their vehicle health, contact help, and manage maintenance.
hum uses GPS to to help dispatch advanced roadside assistance, alert emergency personnel of a car’s location if a crash is detected, and assists authorities in locating a vehicle that has been reported stolen.
- Pinpoint Roadside Assistance for breakdowns, flat tires, overheating, dead batter or other break downs.
- Incident Alert & Emergency Assistance notifies the hum emergency response center if the system detects an incident. Help will be dispatched to the vehicle’s GPS location if an accident is confirmed or if there is no response from the driver for additional support.
- Drivers can initiate a call at the push of a button to speak with a trained, live agent.
- Auto Health & Diagnostics helps predict and prevent mechanical issues before they become bigger problems by giving subscribers’ insights into their car’s health via the hum web portal and smartphone app.
- Mechanic’s Hotline connects subscribers with ASE Certified Mechanics providing personalized, immediate and unbiased consultation related to their vehicle’s repair and maintenance issues.
- Parking & Meter Tools help drivers find where they left their vehicle — using the hum smartphone app — while also keeping tabs on how much time is left on the meter.
- Maintenance Reminders and Alerts can be set for oil changes, tire rotations and more. Additionally, hum will automatically alert customers to vehicle troubles and general manufacturer recalls.
- Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance is available at the subscriber’s request – hum can provide information to authorities in order to help locate the stolen vehicle.
- Travel & Repair Discounts include hotels, vehicle rentals, related travel expenses, and auto maintenance.
Two year subscription plans start at $14.99 per month plus taxes, fees and equipment for the first vehicle (including the hardware, valued at $120). There is an Early Termination Fee if the equipment is not returned.
hum was previously called Verizon Vehicle and was offering free equipment with a two year contract and two months free at launch.
Emergency roadside assistance for Members of Verizon Vehicle is provided by Signature Motor Club, Inc.