UIE Evolution and Toyota announced that Scout GPS Link by Telenav and UIEngine Link by UIEvolution will be available in the 2016 Toyota Tacoma, as well as other 2016 Toyota vehicles in the United States equipped with Entune Audio Plus. Scout GPS Link is a brought-in navigation optimized and tailored for the in-vehicle experience from iPhones and Android smartphones.
Part of the Scout family of apps by Telenav, Scout GPS Link allows users to transfer the information displayed on their smartphone outside the car to the multimedia display inside their car. It features one-touch controls and voice recognition. The connectivity between phone and vehicle is provided by UIEvolution’s UIEngine Link, which allows drivers to securely access real-time data and services like navigation and traffic, that Scout GPS Link provides, using their mobile device.
Scout GPS Link will soon be available for Toyota owners for both iPhone and Android mobile phones as a free download with a complimentary subscription from the Apple App Store and Google Play. Drivers also can use the app connected to the vehicle head unit free of charge.
Scout GPS Link features that will be available in upcoming 2016 Toyota vehicles include:
- Seamless usage between phone and car: Scout GPS Link is fully functional outside the car with the mobile app and automatically transfers the experience to the car for a full navigation experience enabled by UIEngine Link.
- No retyping necessary: Scout GPS Link automatically transfers search results, navigation routes and drivers’ favorite locations and recent destinations from the phone to the car.
- Fast and easy: Drivers can get on the road faster with one tap from the Scout GPS Link home screen on the multimedia system.
- Enhanced search capabilities: Drivers can find places to eat and shop, get gas, and more, with intelligent conversational search commands and one-touch popular search categories.
- Voice activation: Hands-free voice commands allow users to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
- Easy-to-follow directions: Users receive voice-guided navigation with driver-friendly turn-by-turn views, displaying the most relevant information, including upcoming maneuvers.
- Multitasking without disruption: Drivers can use other multimedia functions, such as taking phone calls or listening to music, without disrupting navigation while keeping eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
Telenav is a leading provider of location-based platform services. The Scout App for smartphone has a function to alert driverswhen traffic is slower than usual on the commute home or to work.
Toyota has not announced that it will support either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, like Volkswagen, Hyundai and GM. It looks like Scout GPS may do almost the same things as the map functions in those systems.