There are millions of iPhones on the planet and one of the favorite places for people to use their iPhones is in their cars. The first update to iOS 8 caused major Bluetooth connection glitches with in-car infotainment Bluetooth connections some of which have been fixed with updates. However, we are still getting comments from our readers for problems with iOS 8.3 Bluetooth, music and even cabled USB or lightning connections in cars. On top of that, the darling of the Apple ecosystem, CarPlay has problems with playlists with some aftermarket CarPlay infotainment systems. Bluetooth problems persist in aftermarket stereo systems, too.
What is causing the problem? If you ask the automakers they will say Apple for changing things that worked previously. Apple made many changes to iOS 8.3 to enable it work with the new Apple Watch. In the meantime, those who call Apple support get put through a series of tests and resets that don’t fix the problem. A commenter said that the backup, delete and restore Apple suggests to fix Bluetooth problems, is their way of logging problems thus making the people in their cars software testers.
Some of our latest comments show:
- 2006 Acura MDX with no Bluetooth problem after upgraded to iOS 8.3 the iPhone is no longer discoverable.
- 2015 Subaru Forester with the upgrade to 8.3 on iPhone 5 unable to Bluetooth pair.
- 2010 Ford Fusion with No ringtone or music.
- 2013 Toyota 4Runner, music plays but no phone calls.
- Audi S5 2013 no Bluetooth connection with iOS 8.3.
- Hyundai Iload 2013 Van and Porsche Macan 2014 iOS 8.3 Bluetooth does not work.
- 2010 Hyundai Genesis sedan with iPhone 6+ after 8.3 iOS upgrade, problems.
- 2010 Cadillac DTS is experiencing Bluetooth problems after update to iOS 8.3.
- 2012 Volvo XC60 Bluetooth phone and stream worked properly before iOS 8.3. Now both of them constantly breaks up.
- 2014 Subaru Forrester no Bluetooth connectivity at all.
- 2013 Subuaru Outback will initially connect via Bluetooth, but will not re-connect after ignition is turned off.
- 2014 GMC Sierra can’t recognize the iPhone 6.
- 2011 Sonata. Getting “Initialization Error” while connected to my iPhone 6plus (on 8.3).
- BMW X1(E84) 9/2012 has problems with Connected Drive and IOS 8.3. Connection is lost after 1-2 minutes. Also problems with Bluetooth connection.
- Honda 2012 CRV handsfree link lost.
- Audi A6 no iPhone Bluetooth connection.
- Mazda 2012 CX-9 iPhone 5 pairs and appears connected, but no audio for phone even after 8.3 software update.
- 2014 Mazda3 won’t pair with my iPhone 6 8.3 at all.
- Audi A4 2014 iOS 8.3. Previously had problems with maintaining connectivity and the occasional problem with calls, but this update killed everything com
- Chevy 2015 Silverado no audio text message. Chevy Equinox 2012 phone call but no Bluetooth music or cable connection to infotainment unit.
- 2015 Porsche Cayenne, Bluetooth works for voice but not text messages.
- Honda CRV 2014 lost text messaging function with update.
- Dodge and Chrysler UConnect system owners have reported problems with iOS 8.3.
The most revealing comment is “I could care less about a stupid watch! I have a $104,000 Mercedes that won’t connect to the Bluetooth using OS 8.3! Where oh where is Steve Jobs?
We had one report that by taking in a VW Jetta the dealer was able to fix Bluetooth problem by deleting the old Bluetooth settings form the entertainment console, not the dashboard menus.
Hyundais No Music Fun Days
The are a number of problems with music connections with cables for many Hyundai models including Sonata 2011, when the cable is connected music plays, however when it is reconnected it does not play the last song but a initialization error is shown on the screen. The problem has been reported to Apple.
CarPlay Doesn’t Play Nice with Some Music
Since the update iOS 8.3, there are reports that CarPlay is not working properly with iOS 8.3 with the Pioneer model AVH-X2600, there is skipping in music when playing through Bluetooth while in iPod mode it won’t connect at all.
For CarPlay and a Pioneer SPH-DA120, the Artist List now shows up every Artist from Various Artists Albums. The owner talked to customer support, that suggested deleting Bluetooth CarPlay connection and start again. It has been placed on a bug list for Apple developers.
A Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS that worked well a iPhone 6 Plus, until the update to iOS 8.3. Now no one can hear the driver during phone calls. After re-paring the issue still remains. Alpine iLX-007 will play applications but there is no sound.
So how can our frustrated drivers and commenters get help? We wish we could do more. We tried to find an aftermarket device to use in the meantime such as a Bluetooth speakerphone. We think that by continually allowing our readers to voice their frustration and post fixes, it will eventually help. When we last spoke to automakers and their engineers they are as frustrated as the drivers are. The only solution for some has been to get an Android phone, go back to a late-model iPhone or not update their iPhones. Buying a brand new car may not solve the problem either. If you have a solution please post it in the comments below.
iOS 8.4 Beta shows a totally new music player, which may or may not help. CarPlay will support iAudio books in iOS 8.4.
IHS Automotive forecasts for the three primary systems for 2015 and will be MirrorLink, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. By 2020 there will be 31 million cars with Android Auto, 37 million cars with Apple CarPlay and 17 million cars with MirrorLink.
If you have updated to iOS 8.3 for iPhone 5/5S/5c 6-6+ and it fixed or fried your Bluetooth issues or music streaming with your in-car infotainment system, please let us know in the comments below, be sure to note your make, model and year of your vehicle. We also welcome any solutions you have found worked with your car.
We have comments from readers that there are still Bluetooth problems reported with BMW, Audi, Acura, MINI, GM(Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, Buick), Honda, Kia, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Mazda, Lexus, Fiat, Hyundai, Chrysler, Acura, Mazda and more.
Previously, after talking to many automakers we asked Why Bluetooth iOS 8-8.1 & iPhone 6-6+ issues persist in cars? It seemed like the 8.1 update helped with a few new model cars. Here is a summary of Bluetooth issues and fixes and checkout the most popular nuke-it fixes.
You are welcome to sign up for our newsletter for weekly news or just Bluetooth iOS 8+ news to keep informed. Note: if you subscribe to email when published, you will get everything and don’t have to subscribe to other lists.