Pioneer promised an update for its higher-end 2014 NEX line of infotainment units by the the end of the summer. The update was announced on Thursday and is available for download by a computer from the Pioneer website. Pioneer claims the update should take about 10 minutes, we suggest you allow a little more time to get used to how CarPlay works while you are not driving.
The good news is that Pioneer CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 6/6+/5/5S/5c with iOS 7.1 or higher with the compatible firmware and a”Lightning to USB (sold separately) cable” that is MFI certified*. If you have a rear view camera the update allows you to press and hold the MAP button to see the image from the camera.
You will need either a blank 2 GB USB drive, or a blank 2GB+ mircroSD card (for AVIC-5000NEX and AVIC-6000NEX) or SD card (for AVIC-7000NEX).
After installation of the update, you will be able to access Apple CarPlay directly from the home screen of the NEX receiver. Apple CarPlay is only available on iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5 devices running iOS 7.1 or later.
The Bluetooth connection between the Pioneer receivers and the iPhone will be automatically terminated when the iPhone is connected to this product via a Lightning to USB cable. If a Bluetooth call is in progress when the iPhone is connected by cable, the Bluetooth connection is terminated after the call ends. Bluetooth audio streaming is not available when the iPhone is connected to the Pioneer receivers via the Lightning to USB cable.
The route guidance on the product will stop automatically if the route guidance function in Apple CarPlay is launched. Once you install the Firmware update, all navigation function settings will be reset to factory default and you will need to reconfigure the settings.
Pioneer System Firmware Update Warnings
- The only USB port that supports the firmware update is USB port 1.
- DO NOT turn your unit off, eject the SD memory card or disconnect the USB storage device while the firmware is being updated.
- You can only update the firmware when the vehicle is stopped and the parking brake is engaged.
- Disconnect any mobile devices that are currently connected to your unit.
- Ensure that the update file is located within the root (top) folder of your SD memory card or USB storage device. There should be no other files on the SD memory card or USB storage device.
- While your unit is being updated, DO NOT turn off the system’s power and DO NOT touch the unit’s touch panel screen as this may result in severe damage to your unit.
- DO NOT remove the SD memory card or USB storage device during the firmware update process.
- Performing the firmware update will restore all settings to their default values.
How to Download the Firmware and Update the Pioneer NEX Receiver
- Connect a blank (formatted) SD memory card or USB storage device to your computer, and then download the correct update file on pioneerelectronics.com/firmware. The file name is “AVIC-5000,6000,7000NEX_UC_FW-Update_v1.06.zip”
- Locate and decompress the downloaded file. The downloaded file will produce a folder called “AVIC5000NEX” when decompressed. If you do not have a file decompression utility installed on your computer, you may download WinZip at http://www.winzip.com (purchase may be required).
- Copy the “AVIC5000NEX” folder onto the storage device. Ensure that the “AVIC5000NEX” folder is located within the root (top) folder of the storage device. There should be no other files within the storage device.
- Insert the SD card into the SD card slot or connect the USB storage device to the USB port 1 of the receiver.
- Set the audio source to “OFF” on your unit.
- Press the HOME button to display the Top menu screen.
- Touch the keys and “System” screen appears.
- Scroll down the list.
- Touch [System Information].
- Touch [Firmware Update].
- The “Firmware Update” screen appears.
- Touch [Continue] to display the data transfer mode.
- Wait for the file check to finish.
- Touch [Start]. Progress status is shown. (Please note: Approximately one minute after the update has started, the receiver will restart itself and return to the update screen below.)
- Wait until the update process is complete.
- DO NOT pull out the SD card, USB storage device or remove power until you see the “Update Complete” screen.Once the firmware update process is complete, the unit will display the “Update Complete” screen.
- Press the HOME button.
- Remove the SD card or USB storage device.
To Confirm that the firmware has been updated:
1. Press the HOME button to display the Top menu screen.
2. Touch the following keys in the following order.
The “System” screen appears
3. Scroll down the list.
4. Touch [System Information].
5. Touch [Firmware Information].
After the “Firmware Information” screen appears, verify that the firmware version is 1.06.
For help you can call Pioneer support at 1-800-421-1404, Monday through Friday, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM – 7:00 PM (Eastern Time), excluding holidays, or by email.
The AVIC-8000NEX ($1400 SRP) sells for $998.18 at Amazon.
AVIC-7000NEX ($1200 SRP) sells for $861.99 at Amazon.
AVIC-6000NEX ($900 SRP) sells for $704 at Amazon.
AVIC-5000NEX ($750 SRP)sells for $603.82 at Amazon.
Pioneer warns on its website that you should not use your Pioneer system if doing so will divert your attention in any way from the safe operation of your vehicle. Always observe safe driving rules. In some states certain operations of devices while driving may be illegal. Where such regulations apply, they must be obeyed. Certain functions such as video playback and keyboard input are restricted through a parking brake interlock system.
*When we spoke with Ted Cardenas from Pioneer he said that the lightning to USB cables that come with iPhone 5-6+ should work, in most cases.