Outside forensics experts have not seen any indication that trip location history, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, Social Security numbers or dates of birth were downloaded. However, the individuals were able to download files containing a significant amount of other information, including:
- The names and driver’s license numbers of around 600,000 drivers in the United States. Drivers can learn more here.
- Some personal information of 57 million Uber users around the world, including the drivers described above. This information included names, email addresses and mobile phone numbers.
At the time of the incident, Uber took immediate steps to secure the data and shut down further unauthorized access by the individuals. Uber subsequently identified the individuals and obtained assurances that the downloaded data had been destroyed. Uber also implemented security measures to restrict access to and strengthen controls on our cloud-based storage accounts.
took several actions:
- Matt Olsen, a co-founder of a cybersecurity consulting firm and former general counsel of the National Security Agency and director of the National Counterterrorism Center, will help design how best to guide and structure our security teams and processes going forward. Effective today, two of the individuals who led the response to this incident are no longer with the company.
- Uber is individually notifying the drivers whose driver’s license numbers were downloaded.
- Uber is providing these drivers with free credit monitoring and identity theft protection.
- Uber i notifying regulatory authorities.
- While Uber havs not seen evidence of fraud or misuse tied to the incident, the company is monitoring the affected accounts and have flagged them for additional fraud protection.
“None of this should have happened, and I will not make excuses for it. While I can’t erase the past, I can commit on behalf of every Uber employee that we will learn from our mistakes. We are changing the way we do business, putting integrity at the core of every decision we make and working hard to earn the trust of our customers,” concluded.