Honda announced that the 2017 Honda Clarity Electric sedan is available at select dealerships in California and Oregon. The Honda Clarity Electric is no available to sale and can only be leased
The Clarity Electric sedan is powered by a 161-horsepower (120-kilowatt) electric motor producing 221 lb.-ft. of torque and drawing power from a 25.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack. The vehicle can be fully charged in just over three hours at 240 volts and when using DC fast charging with the SAE Combined Charging System, it can achieve an 80 percent charge in just 30 minutes.
Electric Tech Features:
- High output electric motor with 161-horsepower (120-kilowatt) and 221 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Advanced lithium-ion batteries with 25.5-kWh capacity.
- Full charge in just over three hours at 240 volts.
- 80 percent charge in 30 minutes with SAE Combined Charging System
- 126/103/114 MPGe (city/highway/combined) fuel economy ratings1
- EPA range rating of 89 miles on a full charge.
- Roomy 5-passenger interior
- Display Audio with Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™ compatibility
- Highly efficient aerodynamics
- Standard Honda Sensing.
The high output electric motor is 161-horsepower (120-kilowatt) with 221 lb.-ft. of torque, 0-12,600 rpm motor operating range and has three drive modes of Normal, Econ and Sport.
A comprehensive aerodynamics package with wind-tunnel tested details boost energy efficiency while simultaneously lowering wind noise.
Minimizing the size of the inlet openings on the front fascia reduces airflow under the hood, while special radiator ducting and a full underfloor cover further reduce aero disturbances. Special “air curtains” built into the front fenders and rear doors let air pass through rather than tumble across the wheel openings, and special tire covers integrated into the rear fenders help move airflow smoothly rearward. At the rear of the cabin, the C-pillars mimic the front A-pillars in shape and size, reducing energy-wasting vortexes coming off the rear of the body. Even the taillight lenses are optimized with a “washboard” surface that lets air flow smoothly across them.
The Clarity Electric uses a unique combination of exterior LED lighting that distinguishes it from the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid and Clarity Fuel Cell. Unique to the Clarity Electric are large LED DRLs, ultrathin high-low beams with nine LEDs per side, LED side marker lights, LED front turn signals and LED edge lights. LED taillights, turn signals and wing-shaped brake combination lights with unique clear lenses provide high illumination and distinguish the Clarity Electric at a glance.
New windshield wiper technology on the Clarity delivers an 80-percent improvement in washing efficiency, as well as a 50-percent reduction in washing solution usage for each operation. To improve the washing efficiency for a clearer view, nozzle jets attached to the wiper arms spray the windshield at the leading edge of the blade only, ensuring that each wiper motion cleans the glass with maximum efficiency. For even greater efficiency, the jets adjust the amount of cleaning solution corresponding to the outside air temperature and vehicle speed.
The Clarity Electric features the following suite of Honda Sensing safety and driver assistive features:
- Automatic Emergency Braking aks Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) – A millimeter wave radar unit and monocular camera scan traffic conditions ahead, and the system alerts the driver to take corrective actions to avoid a detected vehicle. CMBS can also apply automatic emergency braking action.
- Lance Departure Warning/Mitigation – Uses a monocular camera to identify lane lines and reflective markers, and then uses the Electric Power Steering (EPS) or Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) to help the Clarity Electric stay in its lane, or applies the brakes to help keep the vehicle from departing the roadway
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow – Allows the driver to set a desired speed and following interval from a vehicle detected ahead, allowing the use of cruise control in light traffic conditions.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) – Uses a camera to read lane markings and the Electric Power Steering (EPS) to assist the driver in maintaining position within the lane. This provides a less stressful driving experience by reducing steering correction movements.
Also, standard Honda LaneWatch uses a camera located below the passenger-side exterior mirror to display a wide-angle view of the roadway on the touchscreen when the right turn signal is activated or a button on the end of the turn signal stalk is pressed. And a multi-angle rearview camera, viewable on the touchscreen, can show a top view, normal or wide view when the transmission is in Reverse. To help the driver better judge distances, dynamic guidelines project the vehicle’s future path based on the driver’s steering inputs.
The HondaLink App
The HondaLink App that includes viewing the car’s real-time charge level and remaining range, the ability to find your car and pre-condition cabin temperature from outside the vehicle, and more.
The HondaLink app includes StationFinder, which can help you locate the nearest approved EV station, and provides mapping directions to lead you right to it.
Unique exterior design elements set the aerodynamic Clarity Electric apart from other Clarity models, including a model-exclusive Cobalt Blue Pearl exterior color, along with differentiated front styling, headlights, tail lamps, and unique 18-inch alloy wheel finish. Like other Clarity models, the Clarity Electric has a spacious interior with comfortable seating for five adults and outfitted with premium, environmentally responsible materials, 8-inch Display Audio with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, and the Honda Sensing suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies.