The Snapdragon 820A family is based on 14nm FinFET advanced process node running Qualcomm Technologies’ custom 64-bit Qualcomm Kryo CPU, Qualcomm® Adreno™ 530 GPU, Qualcomm® Hexagon™ 680 DSP with Hexagon Vector eXtension (HVX), Qualcomm® Zeroth™ machine intelligence platform, and the Snapdragon 820Am version with integrated X12 LTE modem capable of 600 Mbps downlink / 150 Mbps uplink. The 820A is engineered with custom-built, highly optimized cores designed for heterogeneous computing—the ability to combine its diverse processing engines within the system-on-chip (SoC), such as the CPU, GPU and DSP cores, to achieve previously unattainable performance and power savings.
The Zeroth™ initiative, a machine intelligence platform on Snapdragon 820A, is designed to enable automakers to develop state-of-the-art deep learning-based solutions using neural networks for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and in-vehicle infotainment scenarios, and run them efficiently on embedded platforms in the vehicle. Zeroth accelerates execution of deep neural networks using the heterogeneous compute engines that are part of the Snapdragon 820A. A Zeroth-powered development kit for automotive solutions will be available for the Snapdragon 820A.
The version with integrated X12 LTE modem is designed to support continuous in-car and cellular connectivity, featuring the leading 4G LTE Advanced Pro that can support up to 600 Mbps download/150Mbps upload speeds, stream HD movies into the car, serve as a Wi-Fi hotspot supporting 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO, connect multiple mobile devices inside the car, and support 802.11p DSRC for V2X (Vehicle to Vehicle/Infrastructure/Pedestrian) communications. Local connectivity inside the car via Bluetooth® supports content sharing between mobile devices brought into the car and the car’s infotainment system. Qualcomm Technologies is also helping to lead the 3GPP in developing specifications for automotive V2X, for both LTE release 14 (LTE V2X) and 5G standards.
Furthermore, the Snapdragon 820A’s sensor integration provides cognitive awareness and vehicle self-diagnostics, supports ADAS features for improved vehicle safety systems, and provides location and navigation through GNSS and dead reckoning technologies. By integrating advanced camera and sensor processing, the 820A supports critical always-on warnings and emergency services, extends standard cameras to Intelligent Cameras, and supports parking assist periphery vision features using surround view cameras. These features are supported by the on-chip Hexagon 680 DSP with HVX, which supports multiple automotive camera sensors connected simultaneously.
The Snapdragon 820A family of automotive-grade processors is designed for the automotive ecosystem and offers many notable features:
- Scalable and modular platform offering pin, package and software-compatibility, with optional integrated LTE capability that is hardware and software upgradeable as wireless network technology evolves.
- Supports vertical tiering options by offering the Snapdragon 820A family across premium to standard performance configurations.
- Comprehensive software support for QNX, Linux and Android, as well as substantial platform-level integration of high value sub-systems to respond to the acceleration in refresh cycles while managing cost.
- The connectivity, multimedia and graphics capabilities allow many real-time cloud based features, including streaming multimedia, enterprise collaboration, real-time maps and location services, remote diagnostics and one-touch telematics, with substantial potential for performance, connectivity and multimedia innovation for auto OEMs.
- The upgradability option allows a wireless operator to offer an 820A Smart LTE Module concept for the version with an integrated modem that allows cellular connectivity to be updated through both hardware and software when new features become available on the cellular network.
Qualcomm Technologies is also collaborating with Aisin AW to develop the modular infotainment solution utilizing the Snapdragon 820A.
QNX Software Systems Limited, a subsidiary of Blackberry Limited, is a leading provider of software platforms for in-car electronics, and its OS technology will be compatible with the Snapdragon 820A.
Companies that support Qualcomm are LG, Mistubishi Electric, and Visteon.
As part of the automotive ecosystem, Neusoft Corporation, industry experts in ADAS Vision solutions, also collaborates with Qualcomm Technologies to provide cognitive vision solutions on Snapdragon 820A, leveraging the compute performance of the HVX vision engine alongside infotainment systems.
Automotive samples of the 820A family are expected to be available in Q1 2016.